Student Engagement Fund
The Student Engagement Fund is a collaborative effort by the Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning (OSEEL) and the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) to provide funding for students working on faculty-mentored research projects and to support undergraduate student engagement projects.
Requests can be made to cover compensation for undergraduate students and/or for student expenses associated with engaged learning projects, or a combination thereof. Individuals can apply for funding under one of the four categories listed below.
- Mentored student research projects: Funding for undergraduate research projects initiated by students or faculty to cover a student’s compensation (paid assistantship position) and research related expenses for equipment, software, travel, etc.
- Mentored community-based research projects: Funding for undergraduate community-based research projects initiated by students or faculty to cover a student’s compensation (paid assistantship position) and research related expenses for equipment, software, travel, etc.
- NIU faculty-led study abroad programs and field schools (domestic and abroad): Funding can cover expenses for students participating in a study abroad program. (ONLY CLAS FACULTY ARE ELIGIBLE TO APPLY FOR THESE FUNDS FOR THEIR PROGRAMS AND FIELD SCHOOLS DURING THE FALL APPLICATION CYCLE. Students can apply for funding during the Spring application cycle.)
- Travel to conferences or competitions, group travel for class activity: Funding can cover travel expenses incurred by the students. Projects may be mentored by faculty or staff, as appropriate. (All CLAS undergraduates and faculty are eligible to apply for funding in this category. Limited funding is available for non-CLAS applicants. Faculty is encouraged to apply for funding on behalf of students to be used for group travel expenses and student expenses for conferences and competitions.)
Contact us for more detailed information about the Student Engagement Fund.
- Student Engagement Fund (SEF)
- Undergraduate Research
Office of Student Engagement and Experiential Learning
Altgeld Hall 100
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.